The Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra (GJSO) is looking for a Marketing Director. We are excited to offer this opportunity as the GJSO continues to grow in serving the Grand Junction community and Western Colorado. We are looking for someone that is hardworking, energetic, and full of inspiration and creativity. We are looking for a motivated “out of the box” thinker who is comfortable leading and sharing new ideas and visions. He/she needs to be a team player and open to learning new ideas and marketing concepts. You should be comfortable with public relations and speaking in public. We are a small but extremely motivated staff. We are looking for the right person to join our amazing team.
Who are we?
The Grand Junction Symphony Orchestra (GJSO), now in its 44th season, provides high-quality performances and educational programs to the residents of Mesa County, the Grand Valley, and Western Colorado. The GJSO is proud to be the largest professional orchestra between Denver and Salt Lake City and one of the largest arts organizations in Western Colorado.
The Symphony performs at the 1050 seat Avalon Theatre in downtown Grand Junction. The Symphony currently plays five classical subscription series concerts and two symphonic pop concerts with two performances of each in its season. The organization produces four chamber music concerts throughout the year at different locations around Grand Junction. Each summer, the orchestra performs a free outdoor concert for 3,000-5,000 community members at the Las Colonias Amphitheater. The largest fundraiser is the annual Gala which is held in the late fall. The GJSO produces full productions of opera and ballet in their season. The GJSO is also home for the Western Colorado Choral, Grand Valley Children’s Choir, and the Western Colorado Jazz Orchestra. The GJSO volunteer organization is the GJSO Guild with over 80 members. The GJSO Foundation is the endowment organization for the GSJO and currently has asset over 2 million.
The GJSO is an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin. We value diversity and inclusion and seek to build and maintain a community and culture that celebrates and values diverse backgrounds, identities, and perspectives. We consider equivalent combinations of experience and education for jobs, and all candidates who believe they possess equivalent experience and education are encouraged to apply.
Marketing Director Position
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, plan, and implement all aspects of single ticket, season subscription, and renewal campaigns, including the design and placement of print, paid search, paid social media, press releases, event listings, newsletters, direct mail, and email campaigns.
- Help with box office operations at the GJSO office and other various performance and event venues. Work with staff members to ensure friendly, courteous service, and customer satisfaction in ticket transactions.
- Develop ticket pricing strategies and policies that fulfill revenue/attendance goals. Research and recommend any special ticketing policies and subscription series make-up.
- Attend all concerts and events to act as liaison to the media and the public; oversee distribution of tickets to press and VIPs; participate in artist hospitality as requested.
- Provide periodic ticket sales reports as requested.
- Communicate the GJSO’s plans and activities to the media. Work closely with Executive Director in establishing positive contacts with local media outlets, and in conveying an image consistent with the Board's policies and objectives for the organization. Maintain media contacts, act as spokesman for the GJSO as needed, and provide public information by request.
- Oversee the development and production of all materials used to support the GJSO's public relations events and marketing campaigns, including subscription brochures, print ads, posters, signs, electronic media, social media, advertising copy, marketing scripts, press releases, newsletters, annual reports, and special promotions. Ensure the quality, consistency, and accuracy of all communications (keeping a consistent brand).
- Social Media: Write and produce interesting copy/stories for the GJSO on social media. Maintain all social media outlets for the GJSO including FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Create social media events and purchase social media advertising.
- Oversee the production of the orchestra’s program book. This includes coordinating program book ad sales, design of the book, and printing of the book.
- Manage the orchestra’s website, including updating information and design.
- Manage all graphic design needs for the organization – handling creative design for all publications, media, merchandise, and other communication tools for the organization. Coordinate with external vendors when projects necessitate.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement marketing campaigns for the GJSO Guild and GJSO Foundation
- Conduct audience and market research as needed; develop strategies based on survey analyses. Provide statistical and demographic information of the organization’s patrons as requested
- Manage the marketing budget.
- Attend civic and cultural events in the community; represent the Symphony by speaking at public events as requested by the Executive Director.
- Keep abreast of recent research on marketing techniques in the orchestra field and in the general public; maintain a collection of current resource materials.
- Lead the Marketing Committee of the Board and enlist Board Members to participate in marketing and public relations discussions.
- Report to the Board on progress of all ticket sales campaigns; provide other reports and public communications as requested.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, Business, Music Performance, or equivalent experience.
- Three to five years of marketing experience, preferably in the performing and cultural arts, music, visual arts, or nonprofit administration.
- Strong experience and understanding of social media marketing.
- Experience planning advertising/media campaigns.
- Solid understanding of direct mail and data management.
- Experience in box office and ticket sales including single tickets, season subscriptions, and renewal campaigns.
- Strong planning and analytic skills in sales, marketing, and competitive business strategy.
- Ability to maintain, update, and enhance the company website.
- Graphic design skills and knowledge of graphic design software.
- Skilled in the use of software programs such as Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite. Knowledge of donor CRM software, ticketing systems, and QuickBooks. Experience in desktop publishing, word processing, and spreadsheet applications.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent written and verbal skills. Experience writing compelling sales copy preferred.
- Excellent customer service skills, ability to solve problems with customers and keep a positive attitude.
- Understanding and appreciation of classical music.
Compensation and benefits
Salary range is $50,000-55,000 annually, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Position is full-time salaried, exempt.
Benefits package includes:
- Generous paid time off, including annual, personal, and sick leave
- 403(b) Plan
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter describing your specific interests and qualifications for this position, and a resume/cv with three contact references to Executive Director, (Mr.) Kelly Anderson.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will remain open until filled.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Grand Junction, CO 81501: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor's (Required)
- Marketing: 2 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location