Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation, and education. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission of Inspiring Communities to Save Wildlife for Future Generations.
Denver Zoo honors our animals, staff, and guests by conducting ourselves at the highest level of integrity through our Core Actions — Inspire Awe: Safety, Care, Connect and by embracing our Core Values of: Welcoming, United, Curious, Courageous and Transformative in all that we do.
The Marketing Manager will be a proactive member of the team, have strong attention to detail and feel comfortable working in an open, self-driven environment. The work encompasses: omni-channel marketing strategy & execution, internal stakeholder collaboration and management, third-party vendor management, scheduling & budgeting, writing, presentation development, quality assurance and production oversight.
This position advances Denver Zoo’s mission and goals by supporting the Marketing Director and Marketing & Design team through management of key marketing channels and tactics, and design project management to ensure successful execution of organizational and project objectives. The Marketing Manager will have the ability to collaborate with their colleagues in External Relations and other Zoo departments to reach marketing objectives.
The Marketing Manager will manage a direct report, the Marketing Coordinator. Additionally, this role may have video production responsibilities, helping ER Creative Director and Digital Content Manager to execute video projects across a wide range of projects and platforms.
Our staff is a dedicated and diverse group of individuals committed to providing quality care to our animals while creating moments of awe for guests. If you are a like-minded individual and thrive in a dynamic, fast paced and innovative culture, Denver Zoo is the place for you!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop strategic go-to market activation plans using the PESO Model to support Zoo objectives
- Support Marketing Director in development of annual paid media plan
- Manage execution of paid and owned marketing tactics including but not limited to paid social media, Google Grant, SEO, website content, and all email programs
- With Marketing Director, serve as External Relations’ marketing, data and segmentation representatives for Zoo-wide CRM (customer relationship management) and POS (point of sale) initiatives
- Manage paid media creative specifications, quality assurance and trafficking
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to assess project goals and marketing needs for initiatives including but not limited to Denver Zoo admission, events, fundraising, guest engagement and educational programming, signage, conservation projects
- Partner with Creative Director and Creative Manager on print, out of home and video production projects, including but not limited to casting, lighting, crew and schedule management
- Schedule, prepare and lead multi-department meetings and third-party vendor calls
- Proactively provide performance tracking and reporting for External Relations
Other Responsibilities and Duties
- Works collaboratively with External Relations team members as well as organizational client partners in developing and executing marketing plans as well as other initiatives as needed. Is a collaborative, upbeat and creative marketing partner for internal “clients” who need a variety of marketing strategy consulting and asset development throughout the year. Is an excellent communicator and presenter of ideas. Is proactive in joining organizational committees to advocate for the Denver Zoo’s strategic priorities.
- Denver Zoo retains the right to add or change duties and/or responsibilities at any time.
- Oversees the Marketing Coordinator who is responsible for project management, design requests, email marketing execution, ad trafficking, invoice processing and vendor relations.
- Responsible for annual marketing budget management and reconciliation, inclusive of securing co-marketing dollars for specific initiatives from organizational “clients”. Acts as a good steward of Denver Zoo’s resources.
- The nature of this position requires safeguarding against the release of confidential and proprietary information of Denver Zoo.
- This position will interact with managers at all levels and staff members across the organization, in addition to members of external organizations and the public.
Technical / Professional Requirements & Qualifications
- 4-year degree in in Marketing, Public Relations or Mass Communications or related fields, or any equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Requires minimum of 5-years’ experience in developing go-to market activation plans and executing those plans while leading a cross-functional team of various stakeholders.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish is preferred.
- An understanding of the PESO marketing model to inform go-to marketing plans.
- Experience managing multiple projects, workstreams and deliverables simultaneously.
- Experience with process management. digital marketing tools, such as Mailchimp and Google Search & Analytics and CRM software or systems (Ex: Tessitura) is strongly preferred, or any equivalent combination of experience, lived experience, and/or special skills.
- Proven computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite is necessary. Utilization of digital marketing tools, such as Mailchimp and Google Search & Analytics is preferred.
- Requires exemplary collaboration, organizational skills, written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize work and tasks.
- Requires adaptability to produce and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, multi-task and changing environment, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must have superior negotiation skills and the ability to handle sensitive information with diplomacy.
- Must be a recognized communicator and considered to be a developer, coach, and mentor who is comfortable working with a broad cross section of people in direct and matrixed relationships.
- Experience developing and executing strategic goals preferred. Must have proficient skills in managing large and complex teams and/or programs.
- Diplomacy at confronting personal, individual, and internal discrimination requiring sharing and discussing personal identities relative to the work environment strongly preferred.
- Ability to pass a background check and pre-employment drug and alcohol screen.
- Schedule Availability: Monday-Friday, On rare occasions, may be required to work evenings and/or a weekend day.
- Work Location: On campus
Range for this position is $5,831 – $7,289 (monthly).
This is a full-time position with excellent benefits including medical, dental and vision benefits; life insurance; short term and long-term disability; 403(b) retirement plan; and vacation and sick leave.
Application Process and Timelines
Resumes / Completed applications must be submitted by February 6th, 2023. Review of applications will begin immediately. Denver Zoo reserves the right to close the position prior to this date.
Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and others who identify as nonwhite, people with disabilities, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and those with lived experience with racism and/or misogynoir are encouraged to apply for this role.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected status or any other characteristic protected by law.