Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit http://www.ball.com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Media and Public Relations Specialist II
Ball Aerospace is searching for an experienced, results-oriented Media and Public Relations (PR) Specialist to join their Marketing & Communications team (MarCom). This position is part of the Strategic Operations (StratOps) organization, which consists of Washington DC Operations, Marketing & Communications and Strategic Development. The purpose of StratOps is to strategically position the company within our markets, work with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of the company and facilitate collaboration across the company to increase business opportunities.
As part of the MarCom team, the Media and PR Specialist’s primary purpose is to support the day-to-day media relations efforts and strategic media/press planning for Ball Aerospace. Working with the Senior Manager Public Relations, the Media and PR Specialist will recommend, implement and coordinate Ball Aerospace’s public relations strategies and tactics to build and enhance the Ball story and drive earned media visibility.
What you’ll do:
- Work with the Senior Manager Public Relations to develop and implement the overall media and public relations strategy that aligns with the broader MarCom strategy and protects the Ball brand.
- Create and write proactive media pitches, press releases, blogs, article features, talking points, media statements and opinion editorials so all content is on-brand, error-free, consistent in style and messaging to optimize media pick-up and achieve organizational objectives.
- Work with the Senior Manager Public Relations to vet and respond to media requests and inquiries.
- Help develop detailed materials and training to support and prepare company representatives/subject matter experts for interviews and interactions with the media.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with the media and key stakeholders.
- Monitor Ball Aerospace and competitor news daily to gather and maintain weekly metrics, as well as create and develop a monthly metrics report.
- Assist with social media and earned media campaigns.
- Collaborate with the Digital Content and Public Relations Specialist to write website and social media content.
- Collaborate with MarCom and StratOps team on content, messaging, channels, and media and public relations support for events/tradeshows/STEM activities.
- Support the Senior Manager Public Relations in partnering with the Ball Corporation Communications team on announcements, press releases and community engagement.
- Serve as a liaison to a Ball Aerospace business unit or function, which will include developing a strategic communications plan for that business or function and working with the MarCom team to execute on all internal and external communications to support that business/function.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What you’ll need:
- BS/BA in a related field plus 3 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Exceptional business acumen, writing and communication skills, strategic perspective and collaborative spirit are required.
- Minimum four years’ experience in media relations, including media pitching, vetting and responding to media requests/inquiries and organizing media events and interviews.
- Strong relationships with media and key influencers.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and leverage new public relations channels.
- Experience using Cision/PR Newswire or other press release distribution service.
- Knowledge of media monitoring and analytics tools such as Meltwater.
- Proven project management skills.
- Experience and the ability to collaborate with individuals and teams at all levels whether at Ball or within media organizations.
- Familiarity with Microsoft SharePoint and Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Familiarity with the Aerospace and Defense industry preferred.
- Photography and video experience preferred.
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is NOT Available
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.