TEGNA is looking for an experienced, motivated News Director to oversee daily content distribution in the KUSA newsroom.
TEGNA is re-imagining local news in the digital age— thinking big and being bold to deliver content to our audience on multiple platforms.
KUSA, the TEGNA station in Denver, Colorado is a legacy station that is redefining and redesigning how news is produced and distributed for busy and mobile audiences. We are proud and humble of our celebrated history but racing into the future with new ways to engage, educate and entertain the audiences in the 17th ranked DMA.
Our ideal candidate can identify engaging content, teach others how to do so, and develop a road map to meet the goals of our company.
- Lead, inspire and manage the News Department daily
- Collaborate with digital content leaders on strategy for daily content distribution across all platforms.
- Partner with the Digital Content Director to execute the content strategy for KUSA 9 News
- Bring creativity to digital and broadcast content distribution
- Work closely with the news team to produce high-quality, relevant, local content that sets the station apart from competitors
- Foster, encourage and reward out-of-the-box thinking that leads to differentiation and success
- Emphasize the importance of solid research to build credibility and drive research-based decisions
- Use consumer analytics to determine content
- Skillfully use social media and digital tools to research, discover and distribute content
- Lead a culture that owns enterprise reporting and breaking news across all content platforms.
- Inspire and coach superior, unique and engaging storytelling.
- Coach journalists to write for website, including attaching images and streaming video.
- Use creative production techniques such as graphics and new forms of media (viewer pictures, webcam interviews, etc.) to enhance stories.
- Work with other managers to develop annual budget plans
- In collaboration with the Digital Content director and other newsroom managers, responsible for all newsroom hiring decisions
- Work with news managers on staff assignments
- Lead weekly managers meeting
- Perform other duties, as assigned, to drive and fulfill the mission while abiding by the values of this organization
Here’s what you need:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field and news leadership experience.
- 7-10 years of content experience, including generation of original content, and 2-3 years managing other journalists.
- Proven innovative leadership, communication, and staff and product development skills.
- Solid journalistic judgement and a news philosophy that emphasizes accurate, fair and unique local content, along with community engagement.
- Experience in photojournalism, editing, and content management systems.
- Deep understanding of the tenets of professional journalism.
- Skills in producing engaging, content-driven newscasts and digital content.
- Strong social media skills, including an active news hound presence on Twitter and Facebook.
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under time pressure deadlines.
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
Here are some other preferred qualifications:
- Bilingual (English & Spanish) preferred.
- Knowledge of ENPS, Edius and Axis graphics, along with social newsgathering tools like Crowd Tangle/ChartBeat/Omniture a plus.
TEGNA Inc. (NYSE: TGNA) is an innovative media company that serves the greater good of our communities. With 47 television stations and two radio stations in 39 markets, TEGNA delivers relevant content and information to consumers across platforms. It is the largest owner of top 4 affiliates in the top 25 markets, reaching approximately one-third of all television households nationwide. Each month, TEGNA reaches 50 million adults on-air and approximately 35 million across its digital platforms. TEGNA has been consistently honored with the industry’s top awards, including Edward R. Murrow, George Polk, Alfred I. DuPont and Emmy Awards. TEGNA delivers results for advertisers through unparalleled and innovative solutions including OTT local advertising network Premion, centralized marketing resource Hatch, and G/O Digital, a one-stop shop for local businesses to connect with consumers through digital marketing. Across platforms, TEGNA tells empowering stories, conducts impactful investigations and delivers innovative marketing solutions. For more information, visit www.TEGNA.com.
TEGNA Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We encourage and consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, enrollment in college or vocational school, political affiliation, veteran status or genetic information.