“At Freedom Service Dogs, we are passionate about creating a world where veterans and others have the freedom to live their lives to the fullest with a custom-trained service dog by their side.” Michele Ostrander, President & CEO
We believe in harnessing the power of diversity to create a culture of belonging where all individuals are celebrated and valued for their unique ideas, perspectives, and strengths as a means to achieving personal excellence and organizational success.
Lead the Pack: Commit to excellence in all we do
Be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are: Demonstrate integrity to build trust
Work Together, Wag Together: Achieve shared goals while having fun
Keep our Dogs in a Row: Steward all resources efficiently and effectively
Unleash the Power of Diversity: Foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizational culture
The Purpose of Your Role
Provide administrative, clerical, and accounting support to the Director of Finance & Administration and President & CEO. Support all departments with administrative needs and assist colleagues whenever there is an opportunity to do so. Provide reception, answer phones, and routinely communicate and work with volunteers, donors, employees, visitors, vendors and other individuals while creating a positive and welcoming environment. Type, file, schedule, coordinate meetings and conferences, order supplies, oversee building maintenance, assist with accounts payable and receivable, and perform other routine clerical functions. Reports to Director of Finance and Administration.
The Skills You Bring
- Excellent customer service
- Attention to detail
- Proficiency in Office 365, Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Effective communicator
- Team player
- Desire to learn
- Love of dogs
Our Investment in You
- Competitive Salary: $19 – $23/hour
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance covered in part by FSD
- Life insurance covered by FSD
- 401k plan with company match
- 13 Holidays & Generous Paid Time Off
- Professional Learning Opportunities
- Wagging tails, dog kisses, and puppy breath
The Work You Will Do
- Organize and prioritize large volumes of information, calls and visitors.
- Anticipate work needs and follow up on own initiative. Accomplish responsibilities with minimum supervision in a timely manner while communicating consistently and appropriately with management.
- Answer phones and provide information to callers on routine questions, take messages and transfer calls to appropriate individuals for non-routine questions.
- Provide reception coverage by greeting visitors in a professional manner, handling inquiries, and directing them according to their needs.
- Interface with members of the public, donors, volunteers, employees, visitors and vendors, maintaining a positive attitude and projecting a positive image of the Organization.
- Create and develop correspondence, documents and presentations.
- Schedule and organize activities and events, such as conference calls, meetings, appointments, team building activities, and travel. Manage the Organization’s master calendars.
- Prepare outgoing mail, packages, and correspondence. Open, sort and distribute mail, packages, and delivery orders. Maintain postage accounts.
- Provide executive assistance to the President & CEO as requested.
- Assist Director of Finance & Administration with accounts payable and receivable utilizing QuickBooks Online.
- Order and maintain all office supplies, dog training supplies, and kennel supplies.
- Order food from local restaurants to support Organization’s functions.
- Coordinate maintenance of facility, lawn care, vehicles, and equipment with vendors and handyman. Maintain calendar for building maintenance, vehicle maintenance, and vendor contract renewal. Source new vendors as needed.
- Work directly with IT company to oversee all IT needs for the organization.
- Assist staff in operating office equipment, such as computers, fax machine, copiers, and phone systems. Assist staff in operating computer programs including Office 365 and Adobe.
- Maintain and update paper and electronic filing systems for records, correspondence and other material. Retrieve information from files when needed.
- Serve as an administrative liaison to the Board of Directors, prepare documents for onboarding new members, and coordinate board meetings.
- Provide administrative support to all departments as needed on special nonrecurring and ongoing projects, including data entry, research, document preparation, and presentation preparation.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of all documents and files.
- Participate in continuing education as requested.
- Adhere to FSD dog care and training standards.
- Assist with dog care, kennel care and cleaning as needed.
- Any other duties that may be assigned.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
This job operates in both a professional office environment and in dog kennels and surrounding areas. The noise level in the office work environment is usually moderate. The noise level in dog kennels environment can be loud. The location is a non-smoking environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, keyboards or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is expected to communicate frequently with others. The employee is frequently required to stand and bend. The employee is occasionally required to walk; escort visitors in or around the office; climb or balance; go up or down stairs; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. This includes the ability to transport large bags of dog food, retrieve and distribute files, written documents or office supplies and ability to retrieve and replace objects from shelves.
The employee must have the ability to bend, stretch, lift and replace files and books from drawers and shelves and replace same; rapidly use printers, computer equipment, copy machine, and other general office machines.
Occasional driving in organization vehicle is expected. Valid drivers license is required.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, non-exempt position consisting of 40 hours of work per week. Regular days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am – 5:00 pm. This position will require occasional evenings and/or weekends to assist with meetings and events, but will primarily be during business hours.
Required Education and Experience
- Associate’s degree required or related years of experience
- Two (2) years of experience working in an office environment
- Proficiency in Office365, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Preferred Education, Experience and Competencies
- Nonprofit work/volunteer experience
- Experience working with Quickbooks
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
Equal Opportunity Employment
Freedom Service Dogs is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment. We do not discriminate against applicants, clients, graduates, or employees on the basis of race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected by state or local law.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Office Administrator” to Laura Rogers, Director of Finance & Administration, at LRogers@freedomservicedogs.org