Works in support of the resort Marketing, Brand and Sales efforts. Manages all aspects of public relations and media for Winter Park Resort including development of media strategy/annual budget, press releases, online media center, press kits, pitching, media hosting and crisis communications.
Responsible for developing and enhancing the image of the resort to the public, all levels of media, and to existing and potential corporate partners. Also responsible for providing written copy to support the initiatives of an array of departments throughout the resort, including but not limited to Marketing, Sales, Food & Beverage, Outdoor Adventure, Rental, Retail, Competition Center, Ski & Ride School, and more. Develop and maintain portions of the resort’s critical incident response plan and act as official voice-of-resort when necessary.
Develops and implements communication strategies, programs and systems that support Winter Park Resort mission, goals and objectives. Oversees all incoming and outgoing media communications on a daily basis and serve as official spokesperson for the resort. Build relationships with local, regional, national and international media, opinion leaders, stakeholders, industry, and community leaders. Delivers key messages to staff, guests, and partners via a variety of media tools. Visiting media must be hosted with exceptional Winter Park hospitality skills, ensuring each person returns home with relevant, quality stories to be shared with consumers.
- Develop innovative and effective summer and winter communication programs by target market, with appropriate goals and strategies, to increase resort brand recognition and promotion. Demonstrate results of publicity achieved.
- Work in support of marketing, branding and sales strategies and initiatives. All efforts must be aligned and effective in supporting marketing and sales.
- Develops annual press release and media pitch plan based on overall marketing plan
- Manages all online and print aspects related to media center and press kits
- Develops and implements earned media strategy to drive awareness and visitation from key destination markets
- Handle all media communications relating to crisis situations; assist with internal employee briefings and coordination; review and assist in development of internal crisis communication plan
- Develop and implement all public relation images, releases, fact sheets, bios for Winter Park Resort
- Work with Director Marketing and Marketing Manager to assess and set short-term and long-term goals and priorities within the department
- Ensures appropriate media events, FAMS and desk sides to ensure on brand pitches and placements
- Assists with photo shoots, events, copy and web updates as necessary
- Act on behalf of Winter Park Resort as official spokesperson.
- Maintain an effective set of media contacts in regional and destination markets, and nationally, grow relationships to achieve broad earned media placements for Winter Park
- Works on strategy and pitching and aggregates and drives information gathering for newsworthy stories
- Provide creative input and feedback to marketing department/key strategic initiatives.
- Handle all information requests from the media: direct, via local tourism organization/chamber/DMO, or all PR Firms
- Coordinate all aspects of media FAM trips, special events, individual visits, media blitzes, including booking lodging, tickets, activities, transportation coordination, etc.
- Host and manage media, photojournalists, filmmakers, athletes, and opinion leaders, delivering key, appropriate messages
- Keep abreast of media coming into the Winter Park area – be consistently aware of who is writing for which publications, and which ones are viable outlets for Winter Park Resort
- Regularly meet with local and regional (Denver) TV editors to discuss editorial opportunities and foster relationships
- Write and/or edit news releases, special editorial copy, media kit, etc
- Potentially manage an outside agency to assist with writing and pitching
- Write, edit, proof effective marketing communications as needed for brand and resort initiatives
- Collaborate with the corporate office in Denver on Ikon Pass media relations
- Support International PR efforts lead by corporate office with media hosting, story ideas and in-market media events
- Any other duties as assigned.
This job description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities and is not intended to be an inclusive list of job tasks and expectations. With the evolution of this resort and position, the responsibilities of this position may change.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, or Journalism.
- Formal education may be substituted by related work experience in some cases.
- Minimum of four years progressive experience in media relations, public relations, strategic communications required.
- Ski or travel/tourism industry experience preferred.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Communication: Able to communicate effectively in writing and verbally across all levels of the organization. Able to effectively present information to the executive team, management, employees, and customers. , excellent written and oral communications, strong story placement and release writing skills, resourcefulness, attention to detail, creativity, ability to anticipate, spot and fix problems.
- Organization & Time Management: Demonstrate ability to proactively prioritize needs, put first things first, and effectively manages resources and time. Excellent organizational and problem solving skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Reasoning Ability: Able to make independent judgments which have considerable impacts on the organization. Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Results oriented thinking, effective judgment, self-motivation
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Solid knowledge of public relations skills, ability to learn quickly, sound knowledge and understanding of local/regional media
- Active participation in meetings, strong listening skills, ability to plan and host successful press trips, ability to plan and host media events, ability to execute PR projects with limited supervision.
- Display strong team play and interpersonal skills in order to be effective with significant interactions at all levels within and outside of the organization.
- Display an ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with minimal supervision.
- Minimum intermediate ski or snowboard ability required. Expert skills preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and other computer functionality required
- Ability to obtain and possess a Valid Colorado Driver’s License and clean motor vehicle record required.
- Must have auditory and visual acuity to operate video cameras, digital cameras, smartphones, PC computers, desk phones.
- Travel to select domestic and international markets to present Winter Park story ideas and initiatives to assorted media outlets.
- Attend various industry meetings and conferences, when applicable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Able to lift, carry, or otherwise move and position a minimum of 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
- Manual dexterity to operate a computer and other common office equipment on a constant basis.
- Auditory and visual acuity to operate computers, phones, mobile devices and basic office equipment on a constant basis.
- Ability to work for extended periods of time sitting, bending, reaching, and speaking on a constant basis.
- Ability to work for extended periods of time standing, walking, kneeling, pushing and pulling on an occasional basis.
- Talking and hearing occur continuously in the process of communicating with guests, supervisors and other employees.
- Must be able to work outside in the winter and summer under varying conditions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily – reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
This position description is an overview of the scope of responsibilities for the role described above. With the evolution of Winter Park Resort, the responsibilities of this position may change as may the dates associated with many of the tasks. During these times of change, this position requires the flexibility and willingness to accept new responsibilities and potentially transfer others. It will also be the responsibility of any employee of Winter Park Resort to be a positive influence on the transformation of the resort and its associated lines of business.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Winter Park Resort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment.
We do not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by state or local law.
Winter Park Resort will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to Winter Park Resort. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I understand that this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.