As our Regional Public Relations Manager, you will oversee the development of the Company’s regional public relations strategies to serve corporate initiatives and natural gas utility strategies in Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. The position also is directly responsible for identifying and implementing media relations strategies and crisis communications for the enterprise. Success in this role will rely upon the development and execution of strategic stakeholder communications, community partnerships and initiatives, and strong internal and external collaborative partnerships.
SALARY GRADE: $91,200-$150,450 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director of Strategic Communications, Public Relations and Brand Management
LOCATION: This position can be located in our office in Denver, Colorado or at our Corporate Headquarters in Rapid City, South Dakota.
- To learn more about our locations, please visit the locations page on our career website.
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Supervise the Public Relations functions in Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota under the direction of Director of Strategic Communications, PR and Brand Management. Manage personnel and oversee the development and implementation of the following plans:
- Franchise protection, renewal and coordination and any associated fees in partnership with Utility Operations and Legal.
- Community relationships and partnerships with community officials, business leaders, local governing agencies, civic and other key stakeholders. This will assist the organization in positioning the company for opportunities and address key community issues effectively.
- Strategic communications for the business and any project or initiative to enhance our brand in the communities we serve, including the following:
- Messaging that enhances our brand and increases the knowledge base of our internal ambassadors.
- Proactive media relations experience; build relationships with local, regional, national and trade media to utilize them as an effective communications channels to help tell our story.
- Social and digital media strategies in collaboration with the Digital Media to support development of social media and content development.
- Position will also be responsible for the direct development and implementation of the above strategies.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the utility industry or a related field, i.e. communications, public relations public administration, business administration and/or marketing is required.
- Bachelor’s degree required in communications, public relations, public administration, business administration and/or marketing or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of communications, operations, franchise laws and regulatory and legislative processes is preferred
- Strong media relations, media monitoring, and strategic communications skills
- Experience working in crisis communications and issue management
- Effective project management skills, including planning and organization
- Strong communications skills, both written and verbal; leadership skills; interpersonal skills; teamwork; and presentation skills.
- Personal drive, creativity, and initiative to create opportunities to influence brand representation.
- Results-oriented ability to lead and manage teams, processes and procedures.
- Ability to analyze complex issues, interpret and communicate them in a concise format.
- Ability to inform and influence and communicate company positions to key stakeholders.
- Demonstrated skills in strategic planning, critical thinking, and problem-solving.
- Ability to lead and participate in internal and external project teams.
- Dedicated team player and collaborator.
- Flexibility to travel regularly among Black Hills Energy’s service territory locations within the state and out of state as needed.
- Ability to manage multiple projects.
- Commitment to meeting ethical business and personal standards.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office – Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to apply common sense in performing job functions, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity. Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: reach, push/pull, ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. The employee may occasionally (less than 33%) be required to: kneel, crouch and reach. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment. Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Light work. The employee is continuously required to stand and walk. Exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for light work.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level. Must be capable of up to 50% travel (e.g. 2 weeks or 10 days/month) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities. Travel will be necessary to conduct the duties of this job, and the employee must have the ability to drive and have proper licensing.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Corporation does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
Black Hills Corporation is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or status as a protected veteran.