States Newsroom is seeking a reporter to provide political and government coverage for Colorado Newsline in Denver. The reporter will work on daily, fast-paced deadlines to produce investigative and enterprise journalism on topics determined in consultation with the Editor-in-Chief. The reporter will also provide content for the outlet’s dynamic briefs section and distribute site content on social media and other sources.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on issues facing Colorado
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editorial team
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editors and colleagues
- Assist other reporters with research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories.
At States Newsroom, we believe we strengthen our work and improve our insights when we incorporate the perspectives of people who come from different backgrounds and have had different experiences. We are committed to diversity and prioritize equity in all recruiting and hiring.
We’re looking for a reporter with previous news reporting and/or editing experience, sound news judgment, and the ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Knowledge of state’s political landscape and previous digital, photography and/or videography experience are strong assets.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with at least 2 years news reporting and/or editing experience, which can include student experience; flexibility; the ability to manage short- and long-term projects; and an entrepreneurial spirit.
Compensation includes a competitive salary, starting at $55,000, and a very generous benefits package.
To apply, please send cover letter, resume, and writing clips or links to email@example.com.