About Our Job
The City and County of Denver utilizes a hybrid model workplace that balances the responsibilities of public service with the benefits of a flexible work environment. Employees work where needed, at a city site and/or in the field at least three days a week and telecommute remotely at a designated workplace within the State of Colorado the remaining days.
Denver International Airport (DEN) is the third-busiest airport in the United States and one of the top ten busiest airports in the world, connecting our community globally through flight and business. DEN is the primary economic engine for the state of Colorado, generating more than $33 billion for the region annually and employing nearly 30,000 people. At DEN, we are committed to fostering a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. We celebrate individuality and uplift all races, ethnicities, gender identities, national origins, ages, abilities, religion, and LGBTQIA+ communities. We know that our diversity makes us stronger, and we strive to keep equity, diversity, inclusion and accessibility at the center of all that we do.
The Airport Operations Division is seeking a creative and data-driven leader to join our team as the Senior Director of Operational Effectiveness and Innovation. As part of the DEN Chief Operating Officer portfolio, the Airport Operations Division is responsible for the day-to-day management of critical systems that ensure the safe, secure, and efficient movement of people and goods through the facility.
For this role, we are seeking an experienced and data-driven operations professional who is passionate about creating the future of airports through new technologies and data tools. With organization-wide impact, the Senior Director of Operational Effectiveness and Innovation will develop and lead an innovation framework to identify, test, and implement state-of-the-art operational solutions. The position is responsible for directing development, management, and integration of data analytics and business intelligence strategies to support Airport Operations and DEN’s Vision 100 Strategic Plan.
A successful candidate is one who thinks outside-the-box and has demonstrated success leading multi-functional teams in the design, implementation, and operation of innovative airport programs and data initiatives. The Senior Director of Operational Effectiveness and Innovation will drive divisional culture to promote innovative thought processes and data-driven decision making. This position must effectively collaborate with managers, executives, and other internal and external stakeholders (i.e., regulatory agencies, air carriers) as part of change management and solution implementation.
Core job duties include but are not limited to:
- Create and maintain dashboards, reports, and data-driven white papers for the COO’s portfolio using analytical tools such as PowerBI, MatLab, R, etc.
- Collaboration with individual business units, developers, and outside vendors to acquire new data assets and build associated analytical reports.
- Drive departmental culture and promote data-driven decision-making along with passenger-driven analytics, operations, and capital investment planning.
- Partner with process owners to build, automate, and ensure the accuracy of airport-critical reporting to support daily operations, maintenance activities, and environmental initiatives.
- Provide strategic leadership and technical, operational, financial, and managerial guidance for successful tracking and implementation of data and innovation projects
- Develop detailed business plans for proposed innovation and data projects and present them to Senior Leadership Team for evaluation and approval.
- Identify, lead, and manage innovative approaches to operational challenges and work with teams across DEN to deliver operational and passenger centric innovations that drive organizational efficiency and passenger experience.
- Align the innovation framework and project portfolio with the Vision 100 Strategic Plan. Collaborate with the Center of Equity and Excellence in Aviation to share best practices, support new service initiatives, and develop new enterprise skillsets.
- Maintain current knowledge of industry trends, opportunities, and challenges. Demonstrate personal accountability and responsibility and hold staff to same standards.
- Oversee the design and delivery of reports and insights that analyze business functions and key operational performance metrics in support of DEN’s Vision 100.
We are looking for candidates with some or all the following experience:
- Knowledge of enterprise reporting solutions such as Microsoft Power BI and experience building dashboards utilized by business users to enhance decision making and operational awareness.
- Develop collaboration agreement to support the commercialization of innovation
- Supporting best practices, developing skills, supporting business units in new service initiatives, identifying new market spaces, helping people generate ideas, directing seed funding, designing shelter for promising projects
- Develop a comprehensive innovation mission plan and strategy for the Operations portfolio
- Communicate the mission plan and strategy to Senior Leadership, Innovation Team Members, and other stakeholders
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration Management, Aviation Management or a related field.
- Experience: Five (5) years of management level work experience in a complex corporation or airport or a related industry. Two years of management experience must include budget and fiscal oversight, evaluation of business processes, policy development and implementation, and decision-making experience with planning and organizing multiple projects, operations or functions.
- Education & Experience Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
- Licensure/Certification: None
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
Snow / Emergency Duties: Denver International Airport is a 24/7/365 team operation. If weather conditions warrant or an emergency crisis occurs, all DEN employees can be required to work extended hours and/or shifts.
About Everything Else
CA0794 Aviation Director Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$125,176.00 – $212,799.00
Based on education and experience
Denver International Airport
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.