Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. As a community of adventurers and discoverers, Vail Resorts delivers an experience of a lifetime to our guests and our employees. Our team is made whole by the brave, passionate individuals who ambitiously push boundaries and challenge the status quo. Whether you’re looking for seasonal work or the career of a lifetime, join us today to reach your peak.
We are seeking an experienced public relations professional to join Vail Resorts’ Marketing Communications team as Senior Manager of Global Media Relations. This position will support the Director of Marketing Communications in designing and deploying media relations strategies that proactively promote Vail Resorts’ portfolio of business lines in relevant national and international markets. Supported divisions include: Destination Resorts, Vail Resorts Hospitality, Vail Resorts Retail, Real Estate and Group Sales (e.g. weddings and events). The role requires the ability to define communications strategies and oversee the execution of high-impact storytelling programs.
The ideal candidate has strong media relationships across relevant travel & leisure, business, trade and endemic outlets, a proven ability to lead cross-functional teams, and exceptional critical thinking, and written and oral communication skills.
Strategic Thinking and Business Acumen
- Work cross-functionally to build communications strategies that drive resort and business line brand differentiation and affinity, and support business growth by influencing consumer purchase decisions
- Build short- and long-lead strategic PR plans and manage execution of integrated campaigns that effectively promote Vail Resorts’ value propositions
- Run news bureau and media relations teams—internal and agency resources—pitching news outlets in key national and international markets whose readership aligns with target audience demographics
- Story mine throughout the business to identify and develop compelling stories that engage media and excite consumers
- Cultivate relationships with high-profile media outlets and reporters to maximize story placements in line with target KPIs
- Ideate, plan and host media trips throughout the winter season, ensuring an Experience of a Lifetime for targeted media guests
- Represent the division in enterprise-wide collaborative efforts, ancillary businesses and the Vail Resorts brand during travel or outreach to key markets.
- Manage crisis communications in partnership with relevant stakeholders
- Facilitate interviews with subject matter experts across the division and provide appropriate messaging and preparation
- Develop PR tactics rooted in content development for owned channels and paid opportunities
- Facilitate annual and campaign-based goal setting; measure earned media results against high, mid and low funnel performance indicators
- Provide counsel and risk analyses; consistently serve as force driving alignment throughout the business
- Manage annual budget for project implementation, agency support and communication technology
- Oversee team of junior staff and drive domestic and international agencies of record
- Model a collaborative and team-oriented approach and work cross-functionally throughout the business
- Manage resource allocation across the team and further develop highly capable communications professionals; lead team discussions and find solutions to team-wide challenges
- Create and oversee development of PR materials including fact sheets, media pitches, Q&As, FAQs, executive bios, press releases, blog posts and measurement reports
- Engage on crisis communications topics and be able to quickly drive the team in a given direction
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Marketing or similar applicable field
- 8+ years of in-depth PR and communications experience with at least 3 years management experience
- Experience in proactive and reactive/crisis PR; demonstrated ability to use creative thinking to develop PR opportunities, media stories and social media content
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective professional relationships with co-workers and external partners
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills, including strong media relations skills; experience writing news releases, blog posts, pitches, speeches and other written materials
- Strict attention to detail and the ability to work to tight deadlines; solid organizational and project management skills; ability to adapt to changing priorities and manage projects autonomously
The budgeted range starts at TBD + annual bonus. Actual pay will be adjusted based on experience.
The perks include a free ski pass, and a set of benefits including…
- Medical, Dental, Vision insurance, and a 401(k) retirement plan
- Hourly employees are generally eligible for accrued Paid Time Off (PTO), Extra Time Off (ETO) and Sick Time. Salaried employees are generally eligible for Flexible Time Off (FTO)
- Paid Parental Leave for eligible mothers and fathers
- Healthcare & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Life, AD&D, and disability insurance
We offer a variety of professional career opportunities at our corporate headquarters near Boulder, Colorado. Our corporate headquarters team shares both a passion for the outdoors and a drive to re-imagine the mountain resort experience around the world. Learn more about positions at our corporate office. Visit www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.