At the Regional Transportation District of Denver, CO (RTD) our mission is to meet our constituents' present and future public transit needs by offering safe, clean, reliable, courteous, accessible and cost-effective service throughout the District. We look for candidates to join our team in creating a legacy for current and future generations.
RTD Employee Benefits: https://www.rtd-denver.com/careers/benefits
(RTD Represented Employee Benefits: Please refer to the Labor Agreement included in the above link for details.)
DESCRIPTION OF WORK:
Focusing on increasing public awareness of transit related communications, this position leads a variety of public relations, public engagement and media relations initiatives. Salary $53,692 – $89,487
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops strategies to ensure the organization is meeting the information and engagement needs of community groups throughout the district.
- Identifies various audiences and community groups in the organization’s service area and develops and maintains their contact information.
- Develops and implements various public relations strategies and activities and researches, writes, edits and disseminates information to successfully reach and engage target audiences, including internal audiences.
- Develops targeted grassroots and community-based stakeholder involvement processes to ensure that community groups and special interest groups have opportunities to be engaged and provide input into the organization’s programs, services, and projects.
- Develops and delivers presentations and informational updates to community groups and special interest groups and leads public and stakeholder meetings and tours.
- Serves as a back-up media spokesperson and assists in responding to media requests and periodic media phone duties.
- Develops collaborative relationships with marketing, Board of Directors office and other departments in agency to implement internal and external public relations tactics.
- All job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Public Affairs, Public Administration, Political Science, or a closely related field.
- A minimum of six years of experience with a public agency, or related private company, performing duties specific to public relations, community relations, public involvement, intergovernmental relations, transportation planning or related field.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to write clear, concise, factual material in an understandable manner. Both English and Spanish preferred.
- Proficiency in AP writing style.
- Excellent verbal communications skills and strong public speaking and presentation skills. Both English and Spanish preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop relationships with and understand the communication needs of a cross-section of community groups.
- Knowledge of public information and media technologies and resources in the Denver Metro area.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to use sound judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively which includes planning, organizing, and prioritizing with attention to details.
- Basic analytical and research skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule which includes attending evening and weekend meetings as required and being on-call.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those required by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations.
The work environment is a typical office environment with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues.
Based on job performance, experience, education and position availability the next step on the career map for this position may be:
Manager, Public Relations