Opened in January of 1940, Winter Park Resort is the oldest continuously operating resort in the United States. We are located just 67 miles north-west of Denver, which makes us the closest major ski resort to the city. Winter Park’s traditions are deeply rooted in railroad, logging, and the early exploration of Grand County and the local Fraser Valley. Our mission is to “create the best memories, again and again,” for our guests, our employees, our community, and our strategic partners.
Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, Alterra Mountain Company is a community of 12 iconic year-round destinations, including the world’s largest heli-ski operation. The company owns and operates a range of recreation, hospitality, real-estate development, food and beverage and retail businesses. Headquartered in Denver, Colorado with destinations across the continent, we are rooted in the spirit of the mountains and united by a passion for outdoor adventure. Alterra Mountain Company’s family of diverse playgrounds spans five U.S. states and three Canadian provinces: Steamboat and Winter Park Resort in Colorado; Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain and Big Bear Mountain Resort in California; Stratton in Vermont; Snowshoe in West Virginia; Tremblant in Quebec, Blue Mountain in Ontario; Deer Valley in Utah; and CMH Heli-Skiing & Summer Adventures in British Columbia. We honor each destination’s unique character and authenticity and celebrate the legendary adventures and enduring memories they bring to everyone.
Be the voice of the mountain. Share your love for outdoor winter sports through the written word and video. Create compelling content by getting to know the mountain, and of course that can mean first tracks on a powder day. Report all the news from mountain conditions to resort events, behind-the-scenes action to personality profiles, all the things there are to do on and off the snow.
Are you a natural storyteller? This position gives you the opportunity to communicate across channels with an emphasis on video, web, email and phone content. Please note that advanced level skiing/snowboarding abilities is an essential function of this job.
You should be outgoing, a confident skier or rider, demonstrate great attention to detail and very strong communication skills and be a team player. This is a job that requires both work and play. Share your enthusiasm for winter and the resort as the guests’ number one resource for all things snow. This is a full time position from November – April.
- Write and announce short snow report for a variety of ski reporting services
- Confer regularly with Mountain Operations, Guest Services and Information, Patrol Marketing, Public Relations, Events, Community Organizations and various Resort Businesses in order to compile, update and disseminate mountain condition information
- Update several websites, including winterparkresort.com as the day’s conditions unfold
- Develop written content for Daily Resort & Snow Report emails, process content to ensure on-time send of those emails within email system
- Maintain and update internal communication of day’s conditions and trail updates
- Assess/monitor mountain weather conditions for changes and follows up with reporting services
- Conduct competitive ski report surveys, in order to compare and assess other resort reporting information
- Process and analyze daily Grooming statistics throughout the entire season
- Weekly storyboard, film and produce on the snow content for Winter Park audience
- Archive b-roll
- Gather content for blog, social media and other media, per direction of marketing team
- Work hours include time on the mountain skiing or riding to gather conditions reports and content
- Special projects as assigned (film and/or written)
- Assist Marketing, Events, PR, and other departments as needed
- For example, may occasionally act as a tour guide (on and off mountain) for visiting media and other VIPs, as well as coordinate lift tickets, rentals, etc.
- Snow reporters must be at their work station without fail by 5:15 a.m. every scheduled workday. All daily work is time-sensitive and must be completed according to times outlined on a set schedule.
- Excellent communication skills in both public speaking and writing. Note that a writing sample and video sample may be required.
- Must be a creative, well organized, team player with a high degree of energy
- Must be able to multi-task and work well under pressure
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions
- Advanced level skier/snowboarder
- Working knowledge of photo and video editing software a plus
- Basic photography skills a plus
- Must be able to work efficiently to meet deadlines
- Must work well independently and as a member of a team
- Be a morning person!
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Winter Park Resort is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity in any term, condition, or privilege of employment.
We do not discriminate against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, or any other status protected by state or local law.
Winter Park Resort will make reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship to Winter Park Resort. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed in this position. I understand that this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.