About Our Job
Denver International Airport is the 20th-busiest airport in the world and the 5th-busiest airport in the United States, serving over 69 million passengers last year and generating more than $33.5 billion for the region annually. DEN is the largest and newest commercial airport in the United States and consists of 15 million square feet of built environment.
Denver International Airport is looking for a Senior Director of Government Affairs to join our team. In this position you will have the following job responsibilities:
- Provides energized, highly visible leadership for DEN’s initiatives and objectives involving local, state, regional, and federal government affairs.
- Fosters an atmosphere of innovation in order to challenge others to think creatively, especially as it relates to positive passenger experience opportunities and economic development opportunities. Maintains positive working relationships with local, state, regional, and federal government representatives; keeps stakeholders informed of salient information and activities. Represents the organization’s positions, initiatives and interests with a focus on the delivery of superior customer service.
- Leads a multidisciplinary team of DEN staff on key initiatives involving multiple stakeholder relationships at the federal and regional policy level. Facilitates meetings with relevant DEN staff across all business units, understands issue at hand and impact to stakeholders, develops and implements policy for the best interest of the airport and impacted parties.
- Monitors the activities of and interacts with representatives of local, state, regional, federal and international legislative and regulatory agencies. Discusses issues with governmental representatives to influence and advance legislative proceedings that benefit DEN and Colorado. Builds and joins coalitions of partner organizations to develop and implement policy initiatives and achieve campaign successes.
- Monitors legislative and regulatory activities and works with others to develop positions. Conducts research, identifies issues and trends, and provides background information on pending legislation or administrative actions. Follows up on issues that impact DEN, including tracking relevant bills and amendments. Conducts research, attends meetings and responds to requests for information.
- Represents DEN at public meetings, committees and other functions. Serves as the primary source of information for DEN matters on legislative activities and trends occurring at the local, state and federal level. Analyzes relevant legislation and policy proposals to determine alignment with DEN’s strategic initiatives. Advises management on potential governmental affairs implications and develops practical solutions to legislative matters.
- Manages a government affairs staff that includes a federal affairs, City Council liaison and community affairs. The team is responsible for local ordinance filings; monitoring federal legislation and drafting language; providing or arranging testimony and presentations at meetings or hearings; drafts and submits various documents such as ordinance requests, monthly reports, PowerPoint presentations, summaries and a variety of correspondence; coordinates with Mayoral City Council liaisons; responds to requests for information from elected officials, their staff or the Mayor’s Office; and overseeing DEN’s relationships with various economic, community and advocacy organizations.
- Manages state and local lobbying contracts.
- Coaches, mentors, and challenges staff. Champions continuous improvement, including devising new strategies and new opportunities. Ensures staff is sufficiently knowledgeable and dynamic regarding customer service protocols. Leads staff development initiatives that include training, individual development and succession planning. Establishes performance expectations and standards for all levels of employees to achieve or exceed performance metrics and to prepare them for the future.
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Baccalaureate Degree in Political Science, Public Policy, Governmental Affairs, Business, Aviation Management or Communications.
- Five years of professional level work in government affairs, public policy, communications, or a related field.
- Experience in the aviation industry and/or a political position at any level of government preferred.
- Requires demonstrated experience in communication skills, both written and oral, and the creation and delivery of presentations as well as testimony.
- Requires demonstrated experience in maintaining positive relationships with elected officials and other stakeholders.
- Requires experience working with or in government, politics or regulatory agency as well as the ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration Management, Aviation Management or a related field.
- Experience: Five (5) years of management level work experience in a complex corporation or airport or a related industry. Two years of management experience must include budget and fiscal oversight, evaluation of business processes, policy development and implementation, and decision-making experience with planning and organizing multiple projects, operations or functions.
- Equivalency: Two (2) years of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post high school education. Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
FBI Background Check: FBI criminal background check is required for all positions at Denver International Airport (DEN). Employees are also required to report any felony convictions and/or moving violations to maintain this clearance and be eligible for continued employment. By position, a pre-employment physical/drug test may be required.
Snow / Emergency Duties: Denver International Airport is a 24/7/365 team operation. If weather conditions warrant or an emergency crisis occurs, all DEN employees can be required to work extended hours and/or shifts.
About Everything Else
CA0794 Aviation Director Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$113,875.00 – $182,200.00
Based on Education and Experience
Denver International Airport
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.