- First or second-year undergraduate student majoring in Computer Science or a related field.
- First-year students have taken one college computer science course and second-year students have taken two college computer science courses (AP or IB included).
- Currently attending a university in North America.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Returning to a Bachelor's degree program with at least two years remaining in their academic program after completion of the Summer 2020 internship.
About the job
Questions? Please visit our FAQ.
STEP (Student Training in Engineering Program, formerly Engineering Practicum) is an internship for first and second-year undergraduate students with a passion for Computer Science. Students must be available for a 12 week, full-time internship from May to August or June to September 2020. The program provides developmental opportunities for students from groups historically underrepresented in tech through technical training and professional development.
Our unique internship offers the opportunity to work on a software project alongside other STEP interns and full-time Googlers, and provides the chance to bridge the gap between academics and practical professional experience.
Students from all schools in North America, and students who identify with a group that is historically underrepresented in the technology industry, including but not limited to women, Black, Latinx, Hispanic, Native American, students with disabilities, and Veterans are encouraged to apply.
Ideal candidate is in their first or second year of a Bachelor's degree program in Computer Science or a related technical field with an anticipated graduation date between 2022 and 2024, depending on their program and unique circumstances. For students graduating in 2020 and 2021, please apply to the Software Engineering internship at g.co/jobs/sweintern. If you are in a Masters program graduating between 2022 and 2024, please apply to this internship at g.co/jobs/msintern.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
The program is open to qualified first and second-year undergraduate university students who meet the below criteria. We especially encourage applications from students underrepresented in the engineering and tech industry including women, Black, Latinx, Hispanic, Native American, Veteran and students with disabilities.
- Project: Complete a challenging technical project where you’ll get to build solutions and get exposure to immense scale and complexity.
- Enrichment: Attend technical talks by senior Googlers, gain insight into technical interview preparation, learn about Google coding practices and technologies, and develop other skills that will set you up for success.
- Mentorship: Receive coaching and mentorship from Google engineers to guide you through your summer experience.
- Connect: Build personal networks and friendships with a diverse group of students who share your passion for technology.