Denver Zoo has an opportunity for a Vice President of Marketing and Communications.
Denver Zoo is a leader in animal care, wildlife conservation, education, and guest experience. We are passionate about our commitment to excellence in support of our mission to secure a better world for animals through human understanding. We provide extraordinary experiences every day for our animals and visitors and our core values of Protect, Honor, Innovate, Serve, Engage, and Empower are evident in everything we do. We value the different strengths our staff bring to Denver Zoo. We expect our staff to embrace and to commit to our core behaviors for engagement: Passion, Respect, Innovation, Diversity, and Excellence.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications is a full-time senior staff level position and is responsible for the advancement of one of the Denver region's most beloved and recognized brands through strategic and visionary marketing and promotions efforts that ensure attendance and earned and contributed revenue goals, as well as serving as the primary spokesperson and strategic communicator for Denver Zoo.
The Vice President of Marketing & Communications provides experienced leadership to define a future brand strategy approach and development, and manages a team to implement an annual marketing plan that takes into account local and national market trends. The Vice President of Marketing & Communications is also responsible for the creation and execution of a comprehensive communication plan that includes all aspects of strategic public relations, including crisis communications, ongoing media relations and cohesive internal key messaging platform. This individual manages a team that utilizes multiple channels including video productions, newsletters, publications, on-site signage, web and digital capacities, social media and direct communication.
This role resides in the External Relations Department and works closely with peers to advance government relations and community affairs initiatives and assist with issue management. This individual also integrates into the larger Zoo team to understand and support the larger mission and operations through both communications and marketing efforts.
- Supports Denver Zoo's mission through a strategic marketing vision and communications plan.
- Strong leader with ability to manage and motivate teams.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Adheres to and promotes Denver Zoo's mission, core values, and strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrates a commitment to Denver Zoo's Safety & Sustainability Policies by adhering to all environmental, safety, & health regulations, procedures, and goals.
- Value and consistently apply Denver Zoo's ROADMAP (Reaching Our Audiences by Developing Mission Aligned Programs) process and resources in engaging and educating guests at Denver Zoo.
- Assesses, refreshes/preserves Denver Zoo's brand.
- Identifies and tracks local and national marketing trends.
- Assess how best to drive earned and contributed revenue through strategic marketing/promotions initiatives.
- Visions and facilitates an annual marketing plan for Denver Zoo.
- Evaluates, develops and executes a comprehensive communication plan for Denver Zoo including the regular promotion of zoo wide news and events through media relations, on-site signage, videos, newsletter, web and digital capacities, social media and direct communication.
- Evaluates, updates and is prepared to execute crisis communications plan.
- Reviews and approves zoo publications, ebulletins, press releases, Facebook and other correspondence.
- Performs various tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, public relations, journalism, communications, or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years' experience in the marketing/communications field with progressing levels of responsibility.
- Brand development experience.
- Strong track record showing success with comprehensive management of large scale projects.
- History working with/advancing both earned and contributed revenue model.
- Accreditation in Public Relations or advanced degree in public relations and communications is preferable, but not required.
- Interest in, experience with, complex institutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at one time.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Creativity and innovative thinking skills.
- Respect for confidentiality.
- Flexible schedule with ability to meet on-call duties for emergencies and crises.
- Direct work experience in a zoo or aquarium setting, or in a not-for-profit organization, desirable, but not required.
- Ability to pass a drug and alcohol screen
- Clear driving record (a Motor Vehicle Records review will be conducted)
- Ability to pass a background check
- Ability to pass a professional reference check
- Abiltity to provide proof of a valid negativeTB test within 2 weeks of start date if selected
Physical Demands:The physical demands for this position are low. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk and listen. The employee frequently is required to use hands to maneuver handle or feel objects, tools or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance; also, reach, stoop and kneel. Specific vision abilities required include close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception vision and ability to adjust focus. The position requires both mental and visual concentration.
Work Environment:This position requires a substantial amount of contact with staff, volunteers, and other departments.The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and may be occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to medium.
Compensations and Benefits:This is a full-time Denver Zoological Foundation position with complete medical, dental, and vision benefits, 403(b) retirement plan with match, generous vacation package, and more.
Please note that a cover letter and resume are required for this application to be considered complete.
Completed applications must be submitted by May 5, 2017
Denver Zoo reserves the right to close the position prior to the above date.
Denver Zoo is an Equal Opportunity Employer