Colorado Public Radio is expanding and is looking for a Web Developer (front-end and back-end development in a WordPress environment) who believes in the mission, power and potential of public media and will thrive in an environment where curious, creative people can do meaningful work. Responsibilities include developing, testing, deploying, maintaining and expanding the technologies that power our user-centered website and will also support evolving digital technologies such as smart speaker skills and mobile applications.
The ideal candidate thinks of software in terms of the information needs of the audience and understands how technology can make our digital platforms more useful, more usable and more engaging. This person has an eagerness to learn new skills and to innovate ways to get our audio and written content onto diverse digital devices and platforms. They should also enjoy creatively solving problems with experimentation and data.
- Keep the website running smoothly and improving systems, plugins and APIs to meet CPR’s need for usability, speed and security.
- Perform regular WordPress site maintenance including systemic updating of WordPress core files, plugins, and themes.
- Maintain integrations with 3rd party systems and APIs (Google Analytics, DFP, NPR APIs) as well as internal APIs (eMembership, Playlists).
- Test new web releases for bugs (quality assurance) and recommend or implement fixes.
- Respond to bugs, outages and other emergencies.
- Manage and maintain existing web hosting environment and technical aspects of the CMS.
- Maintain up-to-date technical documentation using consistent and reusable practices.
- Tuning pages for easy integrations with social media, email newsletters, Google AMP.
- Independently assess issues, troubleshoot problems, look for areas of improvement with existing and new applications.
- Work closely with Programming teams (News, Classical, OpenAir) on special digital projects or presentations, new features or functionalities. Translate editorial and business goals into sustainable applications and infrastructure.
- Assist in updating our iOS and Android apps working with outside app vendors as needed.
- Develop smart speaker skills and other voice-search technologies.
- Stay abreast of the latest programming, software, and system administration trends and opportunities.
Knowledge and competencies:
- 4 year college degree in Computer Science or related field, or 4 years of real world experience.
- Experience implementing third-party API Integrations (preferably in a WordPress environment).
- Proficiency in building and updating APIs, debugging plugin compatibility issues.
- Strong proficiency in WordPress CMS, WP file structure, custom post types/taxonomies with WordPress Framework, and WordPress REST API.
- Experience with Google Analytics, specifically goal setting, event tracking, Ecommerce tracking.
- Understanding of SEO best practices.
- Understanding of social media and newsletter best practices.
- Basic photoshop skills and understanding of UX and UI principles.
- Knowledge or experience with news/publishing/media/music organizations ideal.