Arapahoe/Douglas Works! Workforce Center is a member of the American Job Center, a member of the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment's statewide network of workforce centers, which provides a variety of no-cost services to job seekers and businesses. Arapahoe/Douglas Works! serves as a critical resource to connect people and businesses in Arapahoe and Douglas Counties, and throughout the Denver/Aurora metropolitan region.
A/D Works proudly carries out our vision of a best-in-class workforce development organization that is responsive to the dynamic needs of job seekers and business/industry. All of our actions strategically invest in Human Capital which contributes to regional economic vitality.
The Career Services Advisor/Workforce Specialist is responsible for providing quality services to job seeking customers in an American Job Center environment to include but not limited to; One/One and Over the Phone Employment Services, Facilitation Mandatory Unemployment Orientation, Job Search Navigation, Job Readiness Assessment, Career Guidance, Labor Market Information; perform a varieties of tasks relative to administrative and program requirements.
Apply to join Arapahoe/ Douglas Works! today!
The following duty statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other non-essential or marginal duties that may be required. The County reserves the right to modify or change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.
- 100% direct contact with various types of workforce center customers, ascertain needs, and navigate customers to appropriate staff and/or programs.
- Reach out to Unemployment Claimants through IER (Interactive Email Response), emails, US mail, and follow up phone calls to encourage 100% attendance. Facilitate the Reemployment Services and Eligibility Assessment Orientation, perform data entry to reflect activities and services provided after orientation and one/one meetings.
- Assist job seekers in making informed career decisions based on local and regional economic demand by providing timely labor market job-driven information.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of programs with and without eligibility requirements, system applications, social media websites, program web interface, and technical equipment to assist customers in their job search activities.
- Provide coverage in all areas within the Career Service team and other A/D Works remote locations as needed.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with customers, coworkers, and other team members.
- Provide one-on-one guidance of pre-employment skills and job coaching to customers regarding work history, education, interests, abilities and other relevant variables affecting employability. Track and follow up on the customer's progress.
- Interpret program requirements, benefits and other information to customers.
- Assist customers in using resource area, labor market information, resume preparation, conduct mock interviews, and other basic job search activities.
- Facilitate group orientation sessions and other job search workshops of groups of 5 – 25 people.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of barriers to employment from the Unemployed, Underemployed, and long-term unemployed, and how to navigate them towards reemployment.
Demonstrates professionalism and exceptional customer service when working with A/D Works customers.
Demonstrates efficient computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and data inquiries from data bases such as Connecting Colorado, Job Link, CUBs line etc.).
Knowledge of community resources (employment and non-employment); ability to act effectively as a liaison between agencies to refer customers to appropriate resources to meet their needs.
Demonstrates organizational and multi-tasking skills, as well as diligence in follow-up.
Ability to maintain a positive resilient attitude when dealing with challenging situations on a daily basis.
Behavioral Competencies (these are required for all positions at ACG):
Respect for Others
Education and Experience:
B.A. or B.S. Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology, Counseling, Human Services or related field
AA, or two year certificate AND Two (2) years of experience working with economically, culturally or socially disadvantaged clients in the context of job counseling, vocational education, vocational or pre-employment assessment, Workforce Development, vocational rehabilitation or related field.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent AND Two (2) years of specialized academic training in one of the above fields (60 academic credit hours or a combination of academic credit hours and specialized training equaling 200 classroom hours)
(Any equivalent combination of education and work experience that satisfy the requirements of the job may be sufficient).
Pre-Employment Additional Requirements:
Must successfully pass pre-employment testing which includes an acceptable motor vehicle record (MVR) and background check.
Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
Work is generally confined to a standard office environment.
The following are some of the physical demands commonly associated with this position.
- Spends 50% of the time sitting and 50% of the time either standing or walking.
- Occasionally lifts, carries, pulls or pushes up to 20 lbs.
- Occasionally uses cart, dolly, or other equipment to carry in excess of 25 lbs.
- Occasionally climbs, stoops, kneels, balances, reaches, crawls and crouches while performing office or work duties.
- Verbal and auditory capacity enabling constant interpersonal communication through automated devices, such as telephones, radios, and similar; and in public meetings and personal interactions.
- Constant use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling the use of automated office machinery or equipment.
- Visual capacity enabling constant use of computer or other work related equipment.
- Will require at time traveling to remote locations or events outside of home base
Occasionally: Activity exists less than 1/3 of the time.
Frequently: Activity exists between 1/3 and 2/3 of the time.
Constantly: Activity exists more than 2/3 of the time.