The Director of Communications and Marketing leads CCA’s communications, marketing, and public relations efforts. The director coordinates the department’s staff including those working on marketing, media relations, external and internal publications, graphic design, web design and content, social media, and video production. The director develops, implements, and measures the success of the department’s strategies for telling CCA’s story; for growing enrollment; and for promoting student, faculty, and staff accomplishments. The director acts as CCA’s liaison with media, cultivates their interest in the college, and ensures that the department maintains positive relationships inside and outside the college. The director also offers clarity about the utilization of, and priorities for, communication and marketing services; and assists the institution and the president to respond in times of crisis or emergency. The position calls for the ability to create compelling messaging, excellent writing and editing skills, strong experience with digital and social media, and a commitment to equity and inclusion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspire and lead the communications and marketing team to achieve its goals.
- Hire, train, mentor, and supervise the team’s members, and measure overall success.
- Collaborate with faculty, staff, and students to conceptualize, develop, and implement communications and marketing initiatives and activities.
- Develop user-friendly processes that help college departments engage with communication and marketing staff to successfully promote programs and activities.
- Utilize data to understand CCA’s messaging environment and success with its messaging.
- Supervise the creation and launch of marketing campaigns that strengthen the college brand, increase enrollment, and further college goals.
- Seek positive media for the college by promoting the value of a CCA education, the college’s transfer and career training opportunities, and its successful student outcomes.
- Serve as the college’s media relations specialist, assisting the college president with media requests and, when requested, as the college spokesperson.
- Supervise the on-going enhancements of the college website, digital platforms, videos, and internal and external publications and print products.
- Manage the department budget and contracts, ensure compliance with institutional fiscal procedures and related regulations, and secure favorable advertising and other agreements.
- Serve as CCA’s Public Information Officer (PIO) and its liaison with the Colorado Community College System’s communications team and its PIO.
- Carry out other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Qualities:
- Proven track record of utilizing marketing and media campaigns to drive organizational growth.
- Passion for utilizing the department’s work to foster an inclusive and equitable college environment.
- Ability to understand, support, and direct the department’s work in specialties including marketing, writing, editing, graphic design, social media, photography, videography, and website design, content, and analytics.
- Understanding of higher education marketing and of academic programs and how to present them most effectively.
- Effective management skills to coordinate staff working on multiple projects with conflicting deadlines.
- Effective written (including editing), verbal, listening, and interpersonal skills.
- Interest in developing a broad understanding of the college and the communities it serves.
- Commitment to mastering the technological skills useful to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Communications and marketing experience in a complex, diverse organization or business.
- Familiarity with best practices in public relations, communications, and marketing.
- Leadership skills needed to build a successful communications and marketing team.
- Supervisory skills in the hiring, training, mentoring, and evaluation of creative personnel.
- Experience managing budgets, following fiscal processes, contracting for services, and complying with institutional and governmental regulations.
- Understanding of the mission and work of two-year colleges.
- Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends and to travel between campuses and in the community.
- Recent experience working in higher education public relations, communications, or marketing.
- Experience or training in communications and media relations during emergencies.
- Experience with Google analytics and online marketing tools and practices.
- Proficiency in Spanish.
Salary Range: Anticipated salary range is in the low to mid $60’s depending on experience and education. CCA offers an excellent benefit plan. Leave and holiday benefits are also included. For more information on the insurance benefits, click on the following link: Benefits
Deadline to Submit Application Material: A review of applications will begin on Friday, November 9, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. This position will remain posted until the position is filled.
Application Process: When submitting your application material, please include an unofficial copy of your college transcripts showing the highest degree achieved. Unofficial transcripts should be submitted to HR@ccaurora.edu.
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact us at HR@ccaurora.edu
By submitting an application for this announced position, applicants are certifying that all statements, information and documents provided are true, complete and correct to the best of their knowledge and are made in good faith. Further, applicants understand that omissions, misleading, false or untrue information, or any attempt at fraud or deceit in any manner connected with this application and/or subsequent testing may result in them not being considered for jobs with the Community College of Aurora; may constitute grounds for discipline and/or termination after hire; and/or constitute grounds for further actions pursuant to law.
The Federal Clery Act (The Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act of 1990) requires all institutions of higher learning to make available to prospective employees our agency's Annual Security Report. A copy of this information is available on the CCA website at the Student Right to Know page. A paper copy of this report can be obtained at the College Security Office upon request. This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning crimes that occurred on campus or on property controlled or owned by Community College of Aurora, as well as public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, our campuses.
Notice to all Applicants:
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
- Direct deposit of payroll is a condition of employment.
- Final candidate is subject to a criminal background check prior to final selection process.
- Final candidate is required to submit official transcripts to Human Resources within fourteen (14) days of hire.
- CCA is affiliated with the Colorado Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) and as such, employees contribute to PERA in lieu of Social Security for retirement benefits. For more information, visit the COPERA web page.
- Former employees of the Colorado Community College System or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information in your application material.
Community College of Aurora Inclusive Excellence Statement:
You matter. You are valued. You belong. CCA is a community that is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion through Inclusive Excellence. We can only achieve this together.
CCA embraces Inclusive Excellence because we want our students, staff, and faculty to learn and contribute within an inclusive environment. This means members of our College community will be active, respectful, and mindful of equity, diversity, and inclusion at all levels of engagement. Inclusive Excellence will provide a foundation for student and institutional success.
For more information on CCA’s commitment to Inclusive Excellence please visit the Inclusive Excellence page.
Non-Discrimination Statement: The Community College of Aurora prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment that violates federal or state law, Board Policy 3-120 or Board Policy 4-120. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender, race, color, age, creed, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, pregnancy status, religion or sexual orientation. The College complies with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974; Executive Order 11246, and sections 24-34-301, C.R.S. et seq.
For information regarding civil rights or grievance procedures, contact our Title IX Compliance/Equal Opportunity Officer, Cindy Hesse, Director of Human Resources at 16000 E. CentreTech Parkway, Suite A207, Aurora, Colorado 80011 or by phone at 303-360-4752, or e-mail at Cindy.Hesse@CCAurora.edu.
ADAAA Accommodations: Any person with a disability as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) may be provided a reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to complete an employment assessment. To request an accommodation, please contact Robert Callaway at 303-360-4733 or Robert.Callaway@CCAurora.edu at least five business days before the assessment date to allow us to evaluate your request and prepare for the accommodation. You may be asked to provide additional information, including medical documentation, regarding functional limitations and type of accommodation needed. Please ensure that you have this information available well in advance of the assessment date.
CCA Mission: "The Community College of Aurora serves our diverse community by providing high quality instruction and support services to prepare students for transfer and employment."
Vision: We aspire to be the college where every student succeeds.