The Vice President, Talent Development is responsible for driving Vail Resorts’ enterprise-wide Talent Development vision, strategy and programs. Talent development includes learning, organization design and development, performance management, succession planning, culture and employee experience / engagement.
The VP, Talent Development sets a talent development vision and strategies and then mobilizes the organization to achieve that vision through a deep understanding of business and employee-related data, analytics and insights that shape our global talent development results. This role is instrumental in developing a high performance / high potential talent ecosystem that creates a sustainable leadership pipeline across all of Vail Resorts. As a frequent acquirer of resorts around the world, the VP, Talent Development plays a key role in leading cultural integrations of acquired resorts.
The VP, Talent Development demonstrates enterprise leadership experience in partnering with Executive and HR Leadership, Business Operations, IT, Analytics, learning content teams, and third party companies to design and deliver best in class talent development processes and programs that elevate the employee experience and deliver on the company’s talent and leadership pipeline goals. This role leads a diverse and distributed team of talent development professionals, and collaborates across Vail Resorts to ensure that the experience is consistent across all enterprise touchpoints.
Along with the Chief HR Officer and the rest of the HR senior leadership team, the VP, Talent Development develops and drives Vail Resorts’ overall HR strategic agenda, leading various strategic HR priorities and projects in support of the HR vision, “Elevate the employee experience to dive Vail Resorts growth and profitability around the world.”
- Talent development strategy & roadmap: build and oversee a long-term data-driven talent development roadmap that positively affects the employee experience, leadership pipeline and the company’s strategic and financial goals.
- Talent development operations: lead ongoing development and deployment of Vail Resorts’ talent development programs, processes and tools across all workforces (including nearly 30,000 seasonal employees), business units, resorts and properties around the globe, including leadership development, organization design, talent and succession management, performance management, and employee engagement.
- Vail Results culture: champion Vail Resorts’ culture and core values as deployed throughout talent development activities. Lead the cultural integration of acquired resorts.
- Consulting and change management: consult with top leadership regarding talent and organization development opportunities and solutions, including integrations of acquired businesses and large-scale change programs.
- Team leadership & development:
- Lead talent development team of ~20, both in our Broomfield, Colorado headquarters (near Boulder / Denver) and also across our Canadian and the US resorts.
- Demonstrate strong leadership within the team and across the HR function, driving high quality employee experiences and exploring what is possible with evolving talent development tools.
- Demonstrate a high-level of emotional intelligence, openness to change, and the willingness to merge ideas to bring forward the best talent development solutions.
- Play active and ongoing role on the Chief HR Officer’s senior leadership team.
Skills / attributes:
- Drive: develop and drive the thinking and “actionability” of strategic and innovative talent development ideas.
- Leadership: lead cross-functional teams, realize new opportunities, and succeed against aggressive goals.
- Influence: define and present innovative ideas to the executive team and get buy-in to support your big ideas.
- Results-oriented: drive to exceed goals, execute consistently, and deliver outstanding results.
- Subject matter expert: externally established and internally connected as a go to person for talent development best practices and insights
- Data-driven: uses employee and behavioral data and analytics to inform decisions, plans and actions
- Agile: courageous and self-aware leader who inspires others. Able to operate effectively in a fast-paced, complex environment
- Curious: lifelong learner who continuously explores new concepts and ideas and how they might apply to the talent development agenda.
- Passion: demonstrate a passion for the employee experience, culture, mission, and vision. Enlist others to care about talent development and how it can be leveraged to improve the employee experience and drive business results.
- Bachelor’s degree. Degree in business preferred; MBA or other advanced business learning or coursework preferred
- This individual brings a high level of passion to her/his work and our product (the great outdoors), and applies that passion to a large-scale, best-in-class talent program. This high potential leader can is also a succession candidate to the Chief HR Officer.
- Our ideal candidate possesses 15+ years of HR experience that includes leading large and complex talent strategies and programs across a global footprint. S/he has a proven track record as a results-oriented business leader who consistently demonstrates learning agility, ambition, emotional intelligence, and business acumen.
- Ability to understand and translate complex business challenges and requirements into innovative talent solutions.
- Ability to analyze trends, data, and leverage organization statistics and performance to influence talent strategy and roadmap.
- Ability to manage complex projects and partner with cross-functional teams to deliver results on-time and on-budget in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong communication (written, verbal and interpersonal) skills.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Pragmatic problem-solver. Solution oriented.
- Confident and articulate, with strong executive presence.
We offer a variety of career opportunities at our world-class resorts and corporate headquarters near Boulder, Colorado in fields like Finance & Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology, Legal, Public Affairs & Sustainability, Marketing, Sales & Communications and more. Our corporate team shares both a passion for the outdoors and a drive to re-imagine the mountain resort experience around the world. Learn more at www.vailresortscareers.com
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.