Do you believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid? Would you like to work where you are encouraged to promote fun, creativity and play? If you are motivated and you possess leadership experience – both on and off the playground – we want you to join our team and put your passion for play to work for us.
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 1,300 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches 700,000 students directly and through professional training services.
At Playworks we believe in the power of play to bring out the best in every kid. We are changing school climate by leveraging the power of safe, fun, and healthy play at school every day. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. We partner with schools, districts, and after-school programs to provide a service or mix of services including on-site coaches, professional training for school staff who support recess, and consultative partnerships.
This is a unique opportunity for a proactive, flexible and strategic leader with excellent business development and fundraising skills to join a dynamic, high-functioning organization. Entering our eighth year of operations in Colorado, Playworks has seen significant programmatic and fundraising growth. Playworks serves over 70,000 elementary schools students with coaching, consultative partnerships and professional training services across Colorado.
Here’s where you come in:
In the role of Development Director, you will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, primarily focused on the execution of a comprehensive development strategy. You will be focused on new business development (foundation and corporate), as well as individual major donor relations.
More specifically you will:
Business Development & Sustainability
- Work closely with the Executive Director (ED) & Development staff to chart Playworks Colorado’s future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s programs and services.
- Together with the ED and Regional Development Team, design and execute an annual development strategy to ensure $1,000,000 in operating support is generated annually.
- Identify, cultivate, and deliver significant gifts from a diverse base of supporters (corporations, foundations, individuals) working in collaboration with the ED and Board.
- Deliver significant gifts particularly from individual and corporate donors.
- Provide management and oversight of an innovative corporate sponsorship strategy.
- Manage relationships with a major donor portfolio.
- Attend, assist and represent Playworks at various key fundraising events/functions, speaking engagements, tours, and other programs.
- Host program visits and seek new relationships in the philanthropic community.
- Prepare regular reports on development progress against targets and work with ED and Regional Development Team to ensure revenue and fundraising targets are met.
Board Partnership & Development
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and ED to create a fund development plan that increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Manage the Ambassador program
Organizational Leadership & Staff Management
- Serve as strategic thinking partner to Executive Director, Regional Partnership Director and Program Director.
- Provide coaching, strategic guidance and critical feedback to staff, with a practice of mentorship, respecting the skills, strengths, contributions and challenges of individual team members.
- Collaborate with ED, development team, training team, program team and program coordinators to cultivate, develop and mobilize the Playworks network – stakeholders, volunteers, donors, etc.
Planning, Strategy & External Relations
- Cultivate and steward the local Playworks brand, ensuring consistent communications across the organization.
- Manage development and communications calendar and lead quarterly and annual planning processes.
- Work with staff to integrate assessment and evaluation into all organizational programs and initiatives.
Administration & Operations
- Manage the development budget and work with ED to develop monthly reports.
- Oversee local Salesforce implementation and database troubleshooting with staff.
- Work closely with Development staff to ensure that all operational functions run smoothly.
If you’re a good fit for this position, you already know most of what this job entails. However, to be sure we’re providing a complete picture, here are some details:
- You will be successful if you are a collaborative and innovative leader, with an understanding of strength-based organizational culture, passionate about Playworks’ mission and committed to education and health reform work.
- The strongest candidate will have direct solicitation experience within Colorado.
- Success in this position requires outstanding interpersonal skills.
Required Skills & Experience
- Bachelor's degree required and Master’s degree in Public Relations, Business, Non-Profit Management, Marketing or related field preferred.
- Experience with direct solicitation required.
- Experience collaborating with an effective team.
- 5-10 years of fundraising and development experience.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build trust within a team, as well as lead group presentations.
- Requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
- Strong knowledge of effective fundraising strategies including grant seeking, individual donor cultivation, corporate employee volunteer programs and event production.
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills and the ability to multi-task and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising.
- Tech savvy and familiarity with donor management/engagement systems and online social networks.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed.
- This position will require travel to various regional locations.
Compensation & Benefits:
Playworks offers the full package – great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the regional Executive Director.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, 401(k) with employer match, life insurance, employee funded pre-tax health and child care spending accounts.
- Generous paid time off with paid vacation, sick and holiday leave.
This is a hands-on, creative, playful and fun-loving place to work, all while contributing to the success of our region’s youth. So if you're ready to immerse yourself in the education sector, working on a rewarding set of challenges and if you've got the skills, experience, passion, and a team spirit, apply!
- A cover letter describing your interest in Playworks, how your experience has prepared you for this role and salary requirements.
- References will be requested.
Playworks is changing the way children experience school every day by leveraging the power of safe and healthy play. We create a place for every kid on the playground to feel included, be active, and build valuable social and emotional skills. Our ambitions demand that we invest in recruiting, developing and managing a team that reflects the broad diversity of our communities. Our core values of inclusion, respect, healthy community and healthy play are the foundation of our organization and are infused in all aspects of our work, including recruiting and retaining the best talent we can.
As an equal opportunity program, Playworks encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, gender identity/expression, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability, or any other legally protected basis. Playworks evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.