Job Description – Accounting Manager
Bridges to Prosperity is driven by a commitment to honesty, direct communication, transparency and hard work, balanced with humor and teamwork.
Since 2001, Bridges to Prosperity has worked with communities around the world to create access to education, healthcare, and economic opportunities by building footbridges over impassable rivers. We have connected nearly over 900,000 rural people, with programs in Bolivia, Haiti, Nicaragua, Panama, Uganda and Rwanda, our agile Denver-based team supports a global operation.
We’re poised to grow, and we’re looking to add a member to our team who has a deep passion for being part of a scaling social enterprise. The ideal candidate for this role has worked in a similar position, who possesses a strong detail orientation, and who is able to manage a range of accounting responsibilities.
We are seeking an experienced Accounting Manager, capable of managing all accounting functions for the organization using Financial Edge and performing a wide variety of reporting and forecasting analyses using Excel. The successful candidate should be a detailed-oriented individual with a proven track record of accurately managing all aspects of an organization’s accounting systems and delivering accurate financial reports on a timely basis. S/he will also have advanced Excel skills that can be used to generate reports and forecasts to enable management and the country program directors to effectively manage their programs and the organization as a whole.
The Accounting Manager reports to and supports the Chief Financial Officer on all finance and accounting-related matters for the organization.
Accounting Responsibilities (estimated 75% of time):
- Directly responsible for maintaining all of the organization’s accounting entries and records using Financial Edge
- Maintain general ledger accounts, prepare journal entries, upload and review entries from country programs
- Prepare monthly financial reports for management in Financial Edge and Excel
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the Finance Committee, and quarterly reports for the Board of Directors
- Oversee accounting staff at each country program and insure that all accounting and procurement activities and policies are consistent, understood and followed
- Help improve accounting and procurement policies across the organization
- Process HQ and expatriate payroll and allowances and review payrolls of country programs
- Process HQ payments to vendors and employees
- Process HQ expense reimbursements
- Process country program transfer requests
- Manage accounts receivables and invoice customers
- Reconcile bank statements for HQ and country programs
- Maintain concise records of all contributions received and reconcile that with the information maintained by the Development team
- Maintain details of all general ledger accounts including security deposits, prepaid expenses, fixed assets and depreciation, and accrual accounts
- Work with auditors and Audit Committee on the annual audit and address specific issues as they may arise
- Prepare federal, state and local financial and tax filings
- Maintain all finance-related documentation
- Distribute monthly financial reports to HQ and Program Managers and review the current status of each program
- Manage the cash flow of the organization as a whole and for each project and program
- With the assistance of the country program directors, update budgets for each project and program as necessary
- Upload annual budgets
- Support development efforts in regards to costing and pricing proposals and providing additional financial information as required
- Manage financial reporting requirements for all projects and funders and prepare financial reports as required on either a monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis
- Answer any questions our funding partners and other parties may have regarding our financials or financial reports
Office Manager Responsibilities (estimated 25% of time):
- Directly responsible for supporting CFO, as requested
- Interfacing with Development Associate to ensure donations are filed and coded correctly
- Support all staff with Denver-based headquarters administrative needs including but not limited to office supply procurement, posting mail, filing and scanning incoming mail, and interfacing with office manager (Posner Center for International Development) as needed.
YOU’LL EXCEL AT THIS ROLE IF:
You thrive with details
You see the quality of the work you produce as a reflection of your personal commitment to excellence. And you love to get into the weeds, seeking opportunities to be the last set of eyes.
You’re the ultimate organizer
You’re a systems person who both seeks to work with existing, and build new systems to maximize efficiency.
You have an insatiable desire to learn
You’re constantly seeking out what’s new and innovative, and you’re always looking to learn from others who are doing great things. You draw others into that curiosity look forward to bringing the team with you for the ride, but are ultimately self-driven.
Integrity is one of your core values
You are the aggregator of our accounting efforts around the world, and you take that responsibility seriously. You ensure that the details are correct, and you take personal pride in the level of quality across all of our international offices.
You have a unique story
We actively recruit for diversity, and love staffers who have an unexpected background. Take a year off to travel? On your second (or third!) career? New to Denver, or coming back to work after extended time off? We’d love to hear from you.
Knowledge of, and passion for Bridges to Prosperity’s mission
Minimum 5-years professional experience in similar position with demonstrated success.
High level of experience with Excel, and accounting management systems such as Financial Edge
Experience working with external auditors
Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
Ability to self-direct and manage own schedule and priorities
Professional experience in working for an international non-profit social enterprise or similar private sector business a plus