The Deputy Director will work closely with the Executive Director (ED), and senior management team to meet the organization’s needs as it continues to experience growth and expands to take on additional efforts. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director oversees all aspects of CIRC’s nonprofit c3 and c4 compliance, finances, human resources, information technology, and office operations to guarantee seamless coordination, optimal support of programmatic activities, and best practices in human resources and staff support. The DD will spend their time working 60% for the C4 and 40% for the C3.
The Deputy Director will be responsible for the following:
GENERAL MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATION:
- Manage the organization in the absence of the Executive Director.
- In conjunction with the Operations Manager, communicate operational plans that support organizational goals to all levels of the organization.
- Work with the Executive Director and supervising staff on strategic planning, coordination, administrative and financial management of the organization’s systems, operations, programs and projects.
- Be primarily responsible for implementing and overseeing the reporting of the C3/C4 Cost Share agreement, including managing the Cost Share Allocation, and primary purpose and electoral expenditure systems.
- Working closely with the Executive Director, the Managing Director and the Development Director, support fundraising for CIRC Action Fund.
- Initiate and oversee risk management and legal policies, particularly with regard to C3 and C4 program compliance, including policies, procedures and activities, letters of agreement, contracts, leases, etc.
- Supervise staff that manage/coordinate IT, operations and events.
- Oversee the Operations Manager to ensure smooth office business operations, including monitoring and approval of vendor contracts, invoicing and payments, timely ordering of supplies, waste containment, ecologically sound practices, etc.
- Oversee compliance to all organization operations policies and procedures in the areas of purchasing, security, safety procedures, financial management and personnel.
- Work closely with the C4 Board of Directors, scheduling and attending meetings, providing minutes and generally supporting their work as the governing body of CIRC Action Fund.
- Together with the ED, insure principles of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access are adhered to across the organization
LOBBYING, ELECTIONS AND CAMPAIGN FINANCE COMPLIANCE
- Research and create systems to ensure CIRC Action is adhering to campaign finance laws dependent on the committee and municipality of the election
- Work with CIRC Action’s attorney to ensure systems and data are compliant
- Ensure electoral finances are tracked and reported as required by law in a timely manner. Oversee Campaign Finance reporter, and in lieu of contractor, write, review and submit required reporting to the Secretary of State and Municipal County Clerks as well as to the E.D. and C4 Field Director. Ensure financial and timesheet reporting accurately reflect C4 reporting
- Oversee compliance and fiscal oversight for C3 lobbying activities
- Work with C3 and C4 staff to ensure full understanding of compliance practices and to implement that in work plans and strategic plans.
ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE:
- Implement, ensure compliance with, and document accounting, internal controls and personnel policies and procedures.
- With Development Director, track financial performance of programs and policies to ensure alignment with organizational and grant budgets.
- With the ED and Development Director, conduct monthly review of finances to oversee the organization’s fiscal health.
- Lead a successful annual budget process in coordination with ED and management staff
- Supervise and work with CIRC’s bookkeeper, CPA, lobbying CPA, and auditor.
- Work with the ED to complete the annual audit process, ensuring that organization is in compliance with all auditing rules and regulations.
- Along with ED, serve as primary negotiator and interface with lending institutions, banks,
benefits brokers and recommend changes/enhancements.
- Provide information to the Board of Directors on financial operations and assist the Treasurer in presenting regular and year-end reports to the Board.
- Prepare and oversee the annual audit, 990, and other tax forms required by the IRS.
- Oversee payroll and compensation processes, benefits, and performance management systems, in accordance with CIRC’s policy and legal requirements.
- Oversee the training of appropriate staff on HR practices, including professional development, sexual harassment, inclusion/diversity/equity and access practices, and other issues as become necessary.
- Oversee planning of Supervisor meetings to drive the priorities of the organization
- Ensure each new hire is onboarded in a consistent and comprehensive manner to the entire organization of CIRC. Support the Operations Manager in the onboarding and release of employees.
- Work with Executive Director and senior management to implement annual performance evaluations and identify professional development opportunities for staff individually and as an organization.
- Ensure that CIRC’s policies support the employees and goals of the organization. Review and revise all procedures, systems and policies on an ongoing basis. Oversee the maintenance of the Staff Handbook.
- Ensure that all human resource-related matters are handled appropriately and in
compliance with applicable local, state and federal regulations and laws.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of all job postings and descriptions, and implement recruitment and retention strategies.
- Champion diversity, equity and inclusion in all HR functions